Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Project Leader and Aquaculture Scientist based in Kasama, Northern Province, the Research Assistant will assist to carry out the component 2 of the Aquaculture Technical, Vocational, and Entrepreneurship Training for Improved Private Sector and Smallholder Skills Training Project (AQTEVET) in the Northern region of Zambia.
- Assist in design and implementation of the six sub-activities under the second component of the AQTEVET project, including:
- Assessment of market actors.Commercially-oriented, gender- and youth-responsive market research.
- Early stage investment support to the private sector.
- Increasing the capacity of private actors to deliver outreach, farmer training, and extension services.
- Demonstration and testing Aquaculture technology.
- Capacity development of supply chain intermediaries.
- Assist to conduct population census of smallholder fish farmers in selected districts of Northern and Luapula Provinces.
- Assist in the collection of other types of data from smallholder fish farmers and private actors.
- Assist in monitoring of performance of private actors in line with agreed terms of reference for their support.
- Assist with data entry and cleaning.
- Assist with literature search.
- Perform other related duties relevant to the project as may be assigned by the Project Leader, Aquaculture Scientist or Aquaculture Markets Development Manager.
This job is open to national applicants with the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, Aquaculture and Fisheries or its equivalent.
- Relevant working experience in aquaculture/fisheries and/or rural development, with proven experience in project implementation, monitoring and coordination.
- Ability to draft research concepts, reports and publications.
Strong research methods skills with experience in using Microsoft Office applications as well ass SSPS and GPS.
- Proficient in English language, both verbal and written.
Ability to think clearly and analytically, setting priority, meeting deadlines, solving problems and making timely decision.
Salary and Benefits
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position with annual salary ranging from ZMW105,453 to ZMW 111,875 per annum. WorldFish’s NRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension / provident fund contribution.
This position will be based at WorldFish’s office in Kasama Zambia. Interviews are expected to be held by end of May 2019. Only shortlisted candidate will be notified and expected to attend the interview. The successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible for an initial 31 months fixed term contract, with possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding situation.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and nationals from developing countries to apply.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 24 May 2019:
A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
A current curriculum vitae;
Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.