Background- Lubuto Library Partners:
Lubuto Library Partners (LLP) is a non-profit non-governmental development organization, headquartered in the U.S. with program operations initially in Zambia and plans to expand to other African countries. LLP’s mission is to enlighten and enrich the lives of children and youth in sub-Saharan Africa, and to especially provide those not in school and highly vulnerable opportunities to develop the knowledge and skills that will reconnect them with their culture and community, and empower them to participate fully in society.
The Lubuto Library model provides high-quality public libraries, providing accessible and holistic educational services to demonstrate and advocate for the impact that public libraries can have in providing opportunities for equitable education and poverty reduction.
LLP constructs enduring open-access libraries whose design is inspired by traditional and contemporary social, economic and cultural patterns and which freely offer comprehensive collections of well-chosen books and technology resources. Lubuto libraries serve as safe havens and are the center for dynamic library programming offering education, psychosocial support and self-expression through reading, music, art, drama, computers, mentoring and other activities.
With a fundamental focus on capacity-building, LLP maintains a continuous learning relationship for children and youth public library services with a growing network of Lubuto libraries owned and operated by Zambian organizations, developing a model poised to scale regionally.
About the position:
The Country Director is based in LLP’s Zambia office and provides strategic vision and leadership for LLP’s field operations. S/he is responsible for ensuring leadership and delivery of quality programs, donor and government relations, fundraising and budget management, and developing a motivated and professional team. Working directly with LLP’s President, staff and volunteers, the Country Director ensures the timely and quality implementation and execution of all programs in Africa.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
Strategic Planning and Management
- Working closely with LLP’s President and Board of Directors, develop a strategic direction and plan for LLP field operations
- Ensure that organizational structures and systems are in compliance with international standards, and that they support program delivery and promote management coordination and efficiency
- Ensure compliance with Zambian legal and fiscal requirements, as well as other standards
- Supervise and support the execution of projects/programs in country, delegating to project/program managers as applicable and appropriate
- Define program priorities, plans and long-term strategy through close collaboration with the President; manage and modify, as necessary, program implementation based on existing in-country realities
Program Quality and Development
- Develop program strategies in accordance with LLP’s mission and vision
- Promote a team approach and positive learning environment utilizing headquarters, program staff, volunteers, advisors and partners to consistently enhance the quality of design and implementation
- Oversee the implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems and on-going monitoring processes of projects and maintain effective project reporting, evaluation and communication systems
- Keep informed of best practices to ensure that LLP’s work remains highly innovative, professional and fully succeeds
Key Partner and Donor Relations
- Oversee and manage donor reporting, drawing from the monitoring and evaluation system for overall program results as well as for specific projects
- Promote LLP as a partner of choice for government and major local and international donors
- Maintain a high level of understanding of government and donor priorities, country plans and planned funding initiatives
- Develop and maintain proactive, positive and professional relationships with all local stakeholders, including implementation partners and prospective partner organizations, other NGOs, donors, clients, key government officials, etc.
- Lead activities aimed at building visibility and presence in-country, potentially including leading tours of program sites, organizing and leading donor trips and cultivating potential partnerships in-country
Resource Mobilization and Financial Management
- Work with program team and coordinate with President and Director of Resource Development to identify prospective funding organizations and implementation partners
- Lead required country-level donor negotiations and strengthen existing funding and implementation partner relationships
- Identify potential resource constraints and collaborate with organization’s leadership as necessary to ensure the program’s financial sustainability
- Maintain effectively coordinated budget monitoring processes for grant funds and discretionary funds
- Ensure that program plans reflect available resources, responding to fundraising gaps and/or operational adjustments as needed
- Working together with the President and other staff, ensure absolute financial compliance both with U.S. and local laws and donor requirements
Human Resource Management
- Develop, coach and manage a team of staff and volunteers and work to strengthen project management capabilities on the ground in Zambia
As necessary, participate in the recruitment and selection of highly qualified staff
- Ensure compliance with organizational policies and procedures
Required education and experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- Relevant managerial experience and skills are a high priority
- Formal training in Library Science is not required, but we are looking for someone with a strong understanding and appreciation of library services to children and youth and what they can contribute to addressing the needs of Zambia’s future generations
The successful candidate will be a dynamic and optimistic professional who:
- Embraces the mission of Lubuto Library Partners
- Possesses passion, drive and belief in LLP’s mission and objectives
- Possesses an innovative and creative mind-set
- Is willing to learn and grow in a dynamic young NGO
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal and management skills
- Is a clear and articulate communicator, both orally and in writing
- Has solid understanding and support of the advocacy messages of LLP
- Possesses the leadership and management skills to work with and motivate staff, Board members and volunteers
- Is a “self-starter,” driven to develop and maintain network relationships
- Organizes and leads efforts, and consistently “follows through” on tasks and goals
- Displays a positive attitude, shows concern for people and community, and demonstrates presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability
- Cares deeply about advancing the educational status and rights of young people in substantially disadvantaged communities through dynamic public library services
The position is available immediately and the application period closes on March 31, 2018.
Salary/Benefits: Competitive and commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
No relocation support is available for this position, which is based in Lusaka, Zambia.
How To Apply:
Submit a cover letter explaining your interest in the role, what you would bring to it and your vision for building Lubuto in the future; a detailed résumé; and three traceable references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject header: LLP Country Director. Include contact information (phone and email) in your application.
Applications not including all of the above will not be considered.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ZambianMe.com is the leading website for jobs and skills in Zambia. Thousands of job seekers and recruiters use this website daily.