The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. For more information, please visit http://www.iita.org.
IITA is seeking to employ the services of fully qualified and experienced Zambian nationals to fill up the following positions at its Lusaka Station:
ASSISTANT ACCOUNTANT – REF NO: SARAH/AA/09/19
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Hub Administrator, the Assistant Accountant will be assisting in performing routine accounting tasks, record financial transactions for projects, units and promptly advise budget holders on their financial status. Accountable for recording the cost of newly acquired fixed assets, tracking existing fixed assets, recording depreciation, and accounting for the disposition of fixed assets.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain and update batch register for all station financial transactions
- Follow up with Staff to ensure travel advance retirements are submitted timely as per IITA policy & update the travel advance register accordingly
- Enter on daily/weekly basis station transactions into the IITA Accounting system
- Create and monitor a system of controls, procedures, and forms for the recordation of fixed assets
- Assign tag numbers, Record fixed asset acquisitions and dispositions in the fixed asset register
- Conduct analyses and periodic physical inventory counts of fixed assets and recommend to management whether fixed assets should be disposed of
- Provide cover in the absence of the Station Accountant
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor
Qualification and Experience
- A university degree in Accounting/Finance or Full ZICA/CIMA/ACCA
- Full Grade 12 certificate
- At least three (3) or more years of professional experience in Accounting
- Member of ZICA
- Proven skills and experience in financial related activities
- Knowledge of Oracle enterprise software will be an added advantage
- Computer skills
- Fluency in English and excellent written and verbal communication skills
General information: The employment contracts are for an initial period of three years. Renewal is dependent on performance and availability of funds.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants should forward their detailed curriculum vitae and covering letter as One Document by email to IITA-Zambia@cgiar.org no later than 19th June 2019. The application should be addressed to the Human Resources Officer. Stating clearly in the subject line the position being applied for.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.